Vermont Animal Cruelty Task Force Home
* About Us Animal Cruelty Manual Search Contact Home
Animal Cruelty News & Announcements

Cardillo Pleads Not Guilty to Charge of Animal Cruelty

Posted on Oct 24, 2008 - 2:57 PM
District Court,
Article Launched: 10/22/2008 03:04:31 AM EDT

Wednesday, October 22
BENNINGTON The following cases were heard in Bennington District Court on Tuesday:
Diane Cardillo, 52, of Main Street in Bennington, pleaded not guilty to a charge of animal cruelty. She was released on conditions.

According to an affidavit, Bennington police responded to a cruelty complaint on Sept. 31 at around 5 p.m.

The complainant told police that her neighbor, Cardillo, has several kittens and a cat and said the animals are infested with fleas. The complainant also told police that Cardillo does not feed the cat and that Cardillo's boyfriend kicks the cat.

The complainant said she offered to give one of the kittens a flea bath, and Cardillo allowed it. The complainant said she did so, but stopped when the water turned bloody.

Police said they spoke to Cardillo, who reportedly admitted the kittens had fleas. According to police, Cardillo was asked if she gave the kittens a flea bath, and she said she did not have the financial means to do so.

According to the affidavit, a policeman examined the kittens and, when he was done, noticed his hands were covered in flea bites.

The affidavit said Cardillo agreed to release the animals to the Second Chance Animal Shelter for care. Police said, while they were setting the arrangement up, they saw neither cat food nor a litter box inside Cardillo's house.

According to police, six kittens and one cat were taken to the Second Chance shelter. Police said workers at the shelter gave the kittens flea baths and treated them with medication for the fleas.
Police said a veterinary technician examined the animals, and said the kittens had respiratory infections, severe parasitism and anemia from the parasites. The technician told police that all of the animals were malnourished, and said the cat had a fever.

Police said the technician told them that one of the kittens might not live.

Printer-Friendly Version
Learn how to Make a Donation

About Us | Animal Cruelty | Manual | Search | Contact | Site Map | Home

Website development by Vitruvian Arts